A. What's in the Writing paper?
- Part 1: One compulsory question - a transactional email / letter which could be formal or informal. You read some material and then you write an email / letter using all the notes on the task.
- Part 2: One question from a choice of four, including an article, email (usually informal), essay (opinion composition), report, review and story.
- Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
(Each Part carries 20 marks.)
B. Useful Tips for Writing
- Before you start writing, highlight or underline the key words in the task.
- It is important to know what kind of writing you are required to produce, what style you should be using and what layout is appropriate.
- In Part 1 check and double check that you have included all the notes.
- In Part 2 read all the questions carefully before you decide which one to do. Choose to answer the one you feel you are especcially good at.
- Practise writing things in different ways using a range of tenses and vocabulary.
- Last but not least, remember to plan what you write, and read it through afterwards to check that you have not made any mistakes.
SOURCE: The Official Top Tips for FCE - University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations - UCLES 2008