A. What's in the Reading Paper?
- Part 1: 8 multiple choice questions (2 marks for each correct answer)
- Part 2: gapped text with 7 questions (2 marks for each correct answer)
- Part 3: text with 15 multiple matching questions (1 mark for each correct answer)
- Time: 1 hour
- Read the instructions of each text first. These will tell you what kind of text it is and what it is about.
- Answer the questions one by one. Don't fill in answers to questions you are uncertain about first. Cross off those you are sure about as you do them, and go back to those you are unsure about later.
- Don't just decide which the right answer is. Tell yourself why the others are wrong.
- Always put an answer on the answer sheet even though you are not totally sure if you are correct.
- There is always information in the text to help you get the right answer - you never need to guess or incur information.
- In Part 1, read the text first without trying to answer any of the questions so that you understand what it is about.
- In Part 2, when you have put all the missing sentences into the text, read the complete text through to check that it makes good sense and you can see the links between text and sentence. Always read one sentence before the gap paying attention to reference words - this , that , them those, it etc
- In Part 3, skim and scan the text - just read through very quickly and underline the relevant information that matches the questions.
SOURCE: Top Tips for FCE - University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations - UCLES 2008