What to Expect
In Exercise 5 of the IGCSE Reading & Writing Papers, you will have to read a text and provide a summary based on specific issues of the text relating to the task.
Read the following article about the jaguar, and then write a summary about why the jaguar needed help and how the species has been preserved in Belize. Your summary should be about 100 words.
Summarising is an excellent way of making sure that you understand and remember what you have read. The practice of summarising a text from notes you have made is a useful safeguard against the temptation to use the words of the original or lift chunks of language.
A good summary:
- conveys the information in fewer words
- expresses the content in fewer sentences
- omits information of little importance
- leaves out details and examples
- departs from the vocabulary and structure of the original text
- doesn't include your own opinions or feelings
To write a good summary follow these steps:
- Scan the text (read it quickly) to get the general meaning and underline or highlight the main points relating to the task.
- Read the text again and make notes of the main points.
- DO NOT look at the original text and write out your summary based on your notes.
- Don't forget to use linking words!!! ( First, secondly, finally, however, moreover, in addition etc)
- Read through your summary making sure you have not copied in extent from the original text or included irrelevant points. You can use words or short phrases from the original text but your summary must be your own writing!
- DO NOT exceed the word limit!