answer key (see lesson 24)
A. The answers to the questions
1. They both impose on individuals an artificial mode of existence.
2. The necessity of making as much money as possible per square foot and of offering to the tenants satisfactory accommodation led to the building of huge skyscrapers.
3. They fail to realise that they lack the most essential things in life.
B. Write sentences to illustrate the meaning of the highlighted words in the passage - as they are used in the passage:
1. Considering the physiological state of the employees, working conditions have recently improved.
2. She was always complaining that her ex husband used to neglect his family.
3. Highly sophisticated technology has expanded rapidly over the last 20 years.
4. One of the disadvantages of living in a big , modern city is the artificial mode of existence.
5. This factory was built with noregard for the needs of the workers.
6. Taxation depends upon each individual's maximum income.
7. A large, modern shopping centre is under construction in our city.
8. Unlike the book, the film was childish, boring and banal.
9. Monstrous edifices which have been recently erected have spoilt the traditional aspect of our town.
10. The post mortem showed that her death was due to a high dose of a toxic substance.
11. In summer, the beaches of Cyprus are thronged ceaselessly by great crowds.