The FCE Task
You have seen this announcement in an international students' magazine: "The countryside has all that is good, the city all that is bad." Which is the best place to live? We are looking for articles on this subject. Write your article in 120 – 180 words.
A. Before you write
Make notes by answering the following questions:
- What kind of writing task is this?
- Who is the reader?
- What kind of language will you use?
- What information will you include?
- How are you going to to organise your ideas? Write a plan.
- What title are you going to give your article?
- An article in an international students' magazine in which I express my opinion by developing advantages and disadvantages.
- Other students
- Advantages and disadvantages of living in a city
INTRODUCTION – Paragraph 1
city or country? I prefer city
BODY – Paragraph 2
Disadvantages: traffic, parking, pollution etc.
BODY – Paragraph 3
Advantages: transport, entertainment, shopping, culture, education, people etc.
CONCLUSION – Paragraph 4
I prefer excitement of the city.
Suggestion : suburbs
TITLE: CITY LIFE HAS MORE TO OFFER THAN COUNTRY LIFE
C. Model Essay
Life in a city has both advantages and disadvantages. If I had to choose between living in a city or in the country, I would certainly choose a city.
On the one hand, it is true that cities are congested. There are many traffic jams and there is always a shortage of parking, which can be quite annoying. Furthermore, residents suffer from noise pollution and tall buildings take away sunshine and fresh air.
On the other hand, in the city, you can enjoy all the facilities a big city can offer, such as public transport, entertainment, shopping and a large variety of cultural and sport events as well as universities for higher education. Cities offer many opportunities to meet new and interesting people. While the country offers clean air, greater personal safety, peace and quiet, I would probably find rural life boring.
Consequently, despite the healthier environment of the country, I prefer the excitement of the city. I think that by living in a suburb of a large city, a person can enjoy the best of both worlds.
D. Useful Vocabulary
(a) To express personal opinion
- As I see it
- I believe
- In conclusion
- To me
- In my opinion
(b) To add further points or examples
- For example
- Such as
- As well as
- In addition
- Furthermore / Moreover
(c ) Comparisons
- Also / too
- As + adjective + as
- As well as
- Comparative + than
- Although + subject + verb + main clause
- As opposed to
- Despite + noun or –ing verb
- In contrast to
- On the one hand .... on the other hand
E. Useful Tips
- Read the task carefully and underline what you need to write.
- Answer the questions in Before you Write above.
- Brainstorm ideas.
- Always make a plan before you write. Organise your ideas in paragraphs following the plan above.
- Do not exceed the word limit!
Source: Vision by Burlington Books