A. Read the text and choose the correct answers.
How a Dog Saved a Life
Kevin Weaver has a serious medical condition, which means that he sometimes feels ill and faints. (1) If / In case this happens, he (2) would need / needs immediate medical attention. (3) Unless / Otherwise, he may even die. This is exactly what (4) could happen / could have happened to him a few years ago if he (5) were / had been on his own when he fainted.
One morning, Kevin was at home alone with his dog Belle when he suddenly fainted. Luckily, Belle is a clever dog and she is trained to call for help when Kevin is in trouble. (6) The moment that / Until Belle bites down on the number nine on Kevin's mobile phone, it automatically (7) will connect / connects with the emergency services.
On that particular morning, the medical team (8) might not reach / might not have reached Kevin in time if Belle (9) didn't act / hadn't acted so quickly. Any dog that has been specially trained can call for help in this way, (10) providing / supposing the phone has been programmed first. Kevin paid $9,000 for Belle's training, but clearly such training is worth it. If a dog (11) didn't have / doesn't have the right training, (12) it wasn't able / wouldn't be able to call for help.
B. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. If you divide 100 by 25, the answer ----- (be) 4.
2. We would understand him better if he ------ (speak) more clearly.
3. If she ----- (not get) the job she applied for, she will be very disappointed.
4. They ----- (forget) to phone her if I hadn't reminded them.
5. If she ----(post) the letter this afternoon, will he receive it tomorrow?
6. Unless you ---- (agree) to come with me to the lecture, I won't go either.
7. I ----(prefer) to buy a flat in a residential area if I had the choice.
8. Unless an athlete ----- (train) every day, he won't be as fit as he should be.
9. If I ----- (be) you, I'd certainly try to contact them as soon as possible.
10. ------- (not speak) to me like that if you want me to be your friend.
11. If the weather is good at the weekend, we ----- (spend) the day on the beach.
12. William wouldn't have been late for work if he ----- (not catch) in a traffic jam.
13. If he ----- (not smoke) so much, he would be healthier.
14. You ------ (can finish) the task on time if you had made a harder effort.
15. If we ----- (want) to be sure of getting seats for the concert, we must buy the tickets soon.
A. 1. If / 2. Needs / 3. Otherwise / 4. Could have happened / 5. Had been / 6. The moment that / 7. Connects / 8. Might not have reached / 9. hadn't acted / 10. Providing / 11. Didn't have / 12. Wouldn't be able
B. 1. Is / 2. Spoke / 3. doesn't get / 4. Would have forgotten / 5. Posts / 6. Agree / 7. Would prefer / 8. Trains / 9. Were / 10. Don't speak / 11. Will / can / may spend / 12. Hadn't been caught / 13. Didn't smoke / 14. Could have finished / 15. want