Cooking is like blogging. Sometimes you are short of ideas or short of time or reluctant to put something on the grill for yet another day, or simply too lazy to try a complex recipe. There are days when you haven't planned your menu, take-away or delivery is not an option, yet you would like to cook something quick, something healthy and something tasty. Yesterday, I hit a dry spell and had no idea of what to cook for dinner. Finally, I came up with the following recipe which turned out to be all the above: quick to make, healthy and tasty.
- 1 kg pork fillet (ask your butcher to remove the visible fat)
- 1/2 cup pure olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- Chop the pork fillet in medium-sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a kitchen pot and stir in the onion and garlic.
- Slightly fry the pork fillet stirring continuously for about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste and stir. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, stir, cover the pot and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice and a traditional Cyprus Village Salad.
CYPRUS VILLAGE SALAD
- 1 medium-sized lettuce finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes chopped
- 3 cucumbers chopped
- 1 dry onion cut in rings
- fresh coriander finely chopped
- kalamata olives
- some feta cheese
- salad herbs (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red vinegar
Mix all the ingredients in a large salad bowl and add the dressing.
This recipe was originally published on July 22, 2013