This is not really a traditional Greek recipe. It's a delicious blend of Greek and Middle East cooking slightly adapted from Argiro Barbarigou's recipe. It's very easy to make, it's healthy and, most importantly, it's so tasty! We can find colour bell peppers all year round at the supermarket but summer is the season when these sweet peppers are the best.
For the marinade
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp paprica
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp mild mustard
- salt and pepper
For the Souvlaki
- 2 boneless chicken breasts approx. 500 gr / 18 ounces
- 3 colour bell peppers (green , yellow, red)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oil.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl with all the marinade ingredients. Use your hands to mix really well, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Warm the olive oil in a pan and sweat the onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add the colour bell peppers cut in strips.
- Cut the chicken breasts in small pieces and add them to the onion and peppers.
- Mix well, cover the pan and let cook over low heat for about 30 minutes
- In a pre-heated oven warm the arabic pitta bread for 1 minute.
- Place the chicken mixture in the centre of a pitta, add 1 tbsp of low-fat yoghurt, roll and enjoy.