For the last ten years or so, my husband and I have adopted a healthy eating pattern without this meaning that we don't occasionally indulge in a less healthy diet to our heart's content! Developing healthy eating habits isn't as confusing or as restrictive as many people imagine. The essential steps are to eat mostly foods derived from plants, vegetables , fruit, whole grains,low-fat meat, low-fat dairy products, and legumes. Here are some of my favourite healthy-eating appetizers:
A. Zucchini with Eggs
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- a pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil
- Add the zucchini and cook until golden brown
- Add the beaten eggs on top, then mix.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
B. Grilled Aubergines
- 2 large aubergines cut in thin slices (rings)
- olive oil (to sprinkle)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grease a non-stick baking pan with some olive oil.
- Brush each aubergine slice with olive oil and add to the pan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat till golden brown.
- Serve with some low-fat yoghurt.
C. Grilled Haloumi and Lountza
"Haloumi" is a Cypriot semi-hard, unripened brined cheese made from a mixture of goat's and sheep's milk, and sometimes also cow's milk. It has a high melting point, so it can easily be fried or grilled.
"Lountza" is one of the most popular delicacies of Cyprus consisting of dried, smoked pork tenderloin.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 slices of haloumi (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 slices of lountza
- some olive oil
- Brush a grill skillet with some olive oil and place over medium heat.
- Add the haloumi and lountza slices when the skillet is hot enough and cook on either side till golden brown or gently crisp.
Serve all these appetizers with some wholemeal pita bread and fresh lemon juice.