It has often been said that marriage kills love. "You are either happy or married.", some people say. If marriage kills love, it's because true love has never been there. Judging from my own experience, marriage can make love last forever and there's nothing like the happiness experienced through the years despite the ups and downs.
It's the happiness derived from unconditional love which often leads to a happy marriage.When I met Alkis, I was eighteen and fell head over heels in love with him. Seven years later we got married - it was by far the happiest day in my life. What is really wonderful, is that thirty-seven years later, we both feel the same excitement, the same heartbeat, the same passion, the same love. Alkis is my rock and my soulmate! My illustrious ancestor, Aristotle, said that "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." Many years later Cathy said in Emily Bronté's " Wuthering Heights" : "I AM Heathcliff!"
To me , Love is .....
- Turning an ordinary day into a party for two..for no reason at all!
- Being there through thick and thin, in sickness and in health.
- Talking, communicating, finding solutions to problems together.
- Never saying "I" but "We".
- Understanding your significant other's need to have space or time to figure things out. This doesn't necessarily mean "I want to break up / divorce but don't want to hurt you." We all need our alone-time, don't we?
- Prepare some comfort food when his favourite football team is losing. And don't you dare ...argue. Just comment to show your interest and say: "The coach was a bully!"
- Looking in the same direction, sharing dreams regardless of whether they come true or not.
- As Jenny Cavilleri (Ali MacGraw) said in "Love Story": "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY