The Greeks can't live without their delicious pies. Hortopita is one of the most popular pies in Greece, which also happens to be our favourite. Having compared various recipes, I finally came up with my own which, I must admit, turned out great! Leafy greens such as spinach, parsley, mint and coriander are brimming with fiber along with minerals, vitamins and plant-based substances that may help protect you from heart disease, diabetes and perhaps even cancer.
- 10 pastry (fyllo) sheets
- 5 bunches spinach
- 1 cup mint, finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped,
- 1 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 2 leeks cut in rings
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 450 gr feta cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- some olive oil for brushing the fyllo sheets
- salt and pepper
- Cut the white part of the leeks in rings and boil for 10 minutes. Then drain
- Boil the spinach for 10 minutes and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix the parsley, the mint, the onions, the spring onions, and the leeks and spinach when they are cold enough.
- Add the eggs, the feta cheese, the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a pan or pyrex dish with some olive oil and line it with half the fyllo leaves, brushing each one with olive oil.
- Spread the green veggies filling evenly and cover with the remaining fyllo sheets, brushing each one with some olive oil and folding any overlapping edges.
- With a sharp knife, carve into square pieces and bake in a pre-heated, medium oven till golden brown.