Meat balls with ouzo is an appetizer or meze. In Greece and Cyprus, it is served with a glass of ouzo just to whet the appetite as you will certainly help yourselves to more than one and this will prepare the palate for the Greek main course - let's say souvlaki or pastitsio. You can also serve them as appetizers with a glass of wine or even zivania .
- 500 gr minced meat - preferably a mixture of pork and beef ground twice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped#
- 1 egg
- 3 whole slices of village bread
- 3 pinches of cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp ouzo
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 24 cubes of hard cheese (120gr)
- flour, olive oil for frying
- toothpicks, parsley or basil for decoration
- Remove the crust from the bread, cut into pieces, soak in lukewarm water and squeeze out any excess water. Mix in a blender with all other ingredients.
- Create round little patties (24 aprox.) and place 1 cube of hard cheese in the centre of each and then form small meat balls.
- Place them on a platter or tray and keep covered in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Flour and fry in plenty of oil till golden brown.
- Serve with some parsley or basil and a toothpick.