Last week was such a busy week at work that I didn't even have the time to do the shopping at the supermarket. Alkis usually does the shopping as he finishes work earlier than me, but he was away on a business trip, so the fridge was almost empty. Saturday night was unusually cold for this time of year, so while Alkis was making a fire, I decided to ...experiment in the kitchen. I came up with pork fillet stuffed with spinach and feta cheese. That's all I had in my fridge. My friend Stefania once advised me to chop fresh spinach and keep it in the freezer instead of buying it frozen as I used to. She was right. The spinach came in handy!
- 500 g. pork fillet
- a bunch of spinach - chopped
- 200 g feta cheese
- 5 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- some oregano
- Beat the pork fillet flat with a meat mallet
- In a non-stick frying pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil, reduce heat, add the spinach and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the spinach and put a thin layer on the flat pork fillet.
- Crush the feta cheese with a fork and add it on the spinach
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- Roll the pork fillet and keep it tight with bamboo skewers.
- Sprinkle with some more oregano.
- Bake at 170*C in a pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes. This is what you get:
- Serve with brown rice, a mixed salad and a bottle of Ktima Gerovassiliou - a great Greek red.
Kali Orexi!!! - Enjoy Your Meal!