I don't think there's a Greek who doesn't love pies for a snack. Pies are an important part of Greek cooking: cheese pies, meat pies, spinach pies.... And since the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, I learnt to make the best leek pie ever - Alkis' favourite. I'll give you that recipe some other time. Olive pies are particularly popular in Cyprus, they are delicious and constitute a great healthy snack.
Eliopita - Olive Pie
- 4 teacups flour
- 2 teacups black olives
- 2 teacups warm water
- dried and ground mint
- 2 dry onions, finely diced
- 2 fresh onions finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teacup olive oil
- Remove the olive pits and finely chop the olives or get chopped black olives without the pit from the supermarket. I recommend, however, Kalamata black olives for this pie.
- Add the mint and the onions.
- Mix the flour, the baking powder and the olive oil in a large bowl.
- Add the warm water and continue mixing until you get a fluid dough.
- Add the olive mixture to the dough and continue to mix.
- Flour a pan or a pyrex plate and put the mixture into it.
- Bake in medium oven for about an hour until golden brown.